With a former private equity executive running neck and neck for the presidency, the practices of PE firms remain in the media spotlight. One maneuver in particular – the dividend recapitalization – has come under scrutiny while it grows in popularity among PE firms.
What exactly is a dividend recap? Marketplace’s Paddy Hirsch takes to his whiteboard to explain:
How dividend recaps have grown, via the WSJ:
– The Matt Taibi/Dan Primack kerfuffle over dividend recaps
– Wall Street insider The Epicurean Dealmaker: “Dividend recaps are surging because they’re the only game in town.”
Mick is the Head of Editorial for Covestor, a financial journalist and online content specialist. Prior to joining Covestor, Mick was for five years the Editor in Chief and VP Content at stock market analysis website Seeking Alpha, where he built the editorial function as the site attracted over 3.5 million unique monthly visitors and developed an innovative platform for intelligent stock market discussion.
Mick is a graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Profiles2013.10.08Mean-reversion and market timing can indeed work – Terry Steffen
- Best of the Web2013.06.13A very long term chart of major asset classes
- Global macro2013.06.10The real ‘great rotation’ is into U.S. assets – Richard Bernstein
- Best of the Web2013.06.03Victor Niederhoffer after he lost everything in the 1997 Asian Crisis